Spicy, sweet and fragrant, this one-pot tastes even better if you make it ahead - a tasty addition to any tapas or buffet spread
- large pinch of saffron
- ½ chicken stock cube, crumbled into 100ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large chicken breasts or 6 boneless, skinless thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- large pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tbsp raisins
- handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- 25g toasted pine nuts or almonds
- crusty bread, to serve
MethodHeat the oil in a medium pan and cook the onion until it is soft and just beginning to turn golden. Push to the side of the pan and add the chicken. Cook for a few mins until the chicken is browned all over.
- 2 cups dried chinese Egg Noodles or fine egg noodles (4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup bottled stir-fry sauce
- 1 cup snow pea pods or fresh sugar Snap Peas, tips and stems removed, and cut up
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, cut into bite-size strips
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil or cooking oil
- 5 ounces cooked chicken breast, cut into strips (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cashews or peanuts or toasted sliced almonds
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain; set aside. Stir ginger into the bottled stir-fry sauce; set aside.
- In a large skillet cook and stir peas and sweet pepper in hot oil over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add cooked noodles, chicken, stir-fry sauce, and cashews; heat through.
- 2 medium unpeeled potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch Pieces
- 1 large green sweet pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 pounds chicken thighs or drumsticks, skinned and fat removed
- 1 8 ounce can Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a 3-1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker place the potatoes, sweet pepper, and onion. Sprinkle tapioca over potato mixture. Place chicken on top of the vegetables. For sauce, in a small bowl stir together tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, and salt. Pour sauce over chicken.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to a large serving bowl. Skim fat from sauce. Spoon sauce over chicken and vegetables. Makes 4 to 5 servings.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 yellow, green, or red sweet pepper, cut into strips
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 chicken drumsticks, skinned (about 3-1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry White Wine
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- Hot cooked pasta or Rice
- Shredded basil (optional)
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine mushrooms, celery, carrot, onions, sweet pepper, and garlic. Place chicken drumsticks on vegetables. Add broth, wine, tapioca, bay leaves, oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken and keep warm. Discard bay leaves. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in undrained tomatoes and tomato paste. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more. To serve, spoon vegetable mixture over chicken and pasta. If desired, garnish with basil. Makes 6 servings.